Pages

Oct 13, 2011

Right

Well, that commitment lasted a while.  Like, a week and a half. Wow.  I am appalled at myself. (not really, I kindof knew this would happen.)

Anyways, I don't really know what's happened to me lately.

OH! I just thought of a good one.

You know that time long ago when it was homecoming?  Yeah?  Well, I've got a story about that.

So once upon a time my friends and I decided to go to the homecoming football game.  After a while, we got bored (we were kicking the opposing teams butts 49-7 at halftime) and we decided to just leave.  We wanted to go to Walmart (I don't really remember the exact reason why, but we just did) so we climbed in my friends Jeep.  My friend has had her license for about four months, and you aren't allowed to drive people who are not an immediate family member for six months--so we were illegal, but we didn't really care, basically because we are stupid sixteen year olds.  While we were about to turn into the Walmart parking lot, I saw a police car parked on the side of the road.  I turned to my friend:
"Hey, there's a police car.  Be careful.  Are you doing anything illegal?" I asked (besides the fact that she had two girls in her car that weren't supposed to be there.)
"Yeah, everything's fine," she said.  Reassured, I relaxed.
As we turned into the parking lot, the police car suddenly turned on it's lights and started following us.  My heart practically came out of my mouth.  I saw my friends hands grip the steering wheel, and she pulled into a parking space.  The police car pulled into the one next to us and the officer got out of the car.  He walked over to us.
"How are you doing tonight?" he asked.
"I'm doing fine, thank you," my friend replied.  I gulped and stared at my knees.
"Do you know why I pulled you over?" he asked.
"I'm sorry, I don't.  I thought I was doing everything okay," my friend said.
"You were driving just fine.  I just wanted to let you know that when you buy a new car, you need to put your temporary license plate on the back of the car.  I couldn't see it when you were driving."  All eyes swiveled to the stupid piece of paper taped to the windshield.
"I'm sorry, my dad put it there.  I'll be sure to fix it," my friend said.
"Can I please see your license and papers?"
"Of course."  My friend turned to me and snapped her fingers as a signal to open the glove compartment.  I opened it with trembling hands and pulled out the papers.  My friend fumbled through her purse and then pulled out her license and handed them to the officer.  He flipped through the papers and examined the license.  I started to flip out even more (my facade was that of a sick individual, clammy and sweating.   My inside self was running around my brain, screaming in terror at the fact that we broke that stupid law and were about to get caught.  I personally like the facade much better.  I would look like an idiot if I were showing the other one.)  If he scanned her license, he would know that she hadn't had it for very long.  We were done for.
Then a miracle happened.
"You know, I can see that you are a very responsible driver.  I won't scan your license.  Please put your temporary on the back of the car as soon as possible.  Have a nice night," the officer stated, and handed back the papers and license, and then walked back to the cruiser.  He swung out of the parking lot and drove away.
My friend and I looked at each other at the same time, and started to scream and hyperventilate. (me screaming, her hyperventilating)  I grabbed the cursed piece of paper and jammed it on the back of the car with the same used tape.  I didn't care as long as it stayed.  I then decided to run around her car like a maniac a couple times to get my pumping adrenaline out.
I suddenly heard my other friend, who was happily texting on her cell phone through the whole ordeal, look up and--taking in what my friend and I were doing--issued the following word:
"What?!"

Once I stopped running around the car and managed to still my beating heart, the three of us went into Walmart and bought ourselves a pack of Oreos.  We then drove home and happily gorged away our fear with milk's favorite cookie.

It was quite a supernatural thing that happened.  I think some great celestial being or something gave us a warning.  I have vowed from that point on that I will never set foot in her car until it is legal, and I will never break a driving law.  Ever.

No comments: