Pages

Jan 24, 2010

Church Catastrophe

Terrible.
Just terrible.
I feel so bad about what happened at church.
It all started when....


My friend, Ashley Bouwhuis (bow-ISS... bow as in, "Bow to me!) isn't in my Sunday School class, but she comes in anyway because there was no other teacher to teach the 14-15 B class. I am in the A class. Today, we got new teachers, Bro. and Sis. Buckles for the B class. Which meant that Ashley had to go.
They came in, picking up the kids in our class.
"McKay, Tyler, and Jake," Sis. Buckles had read aloud from a sheet of paper.
I was holding my breath.
"We also have an Ashley, but they're a boy. We have everyone."
She left.
Ashely sighed in relief.
"Whoa, that was close!"
"Chya," I said.
We started the lesson, with my dad, and his partner, Bro. Linebaugh getting the scriptures we were supposed to read on the chalkboard. Suddenly the door opened.
"Crepes," I muttered under my breath.
It was Sis. Buckles.
"We just found out that Ashley is a girl! We need her," she announced, proud she had eventually found out the correct gender of my friend.
I admit, I got a little whiny.
"Daaad...can't she staaay?" I complained, sticking out my bottom lip.
"Sorry. I'll try to figure something out, but she should go to her real class."
I slumped back in my chair, defeated.
Ashley got up sadly and left.

After Sunday School, we met each other in the hallway.
We talked for a little bit, and then I accidentally (I mean it!) dropped the bomb.
"So how was your class?"
It seemed innocent enough for a question, but Ashley scowled.
"Terrible. I hated it."
"Awww, you missed me!" I teased.
"No, really, it was the worst class I've ever had." She was dead serious. Her face was even turning a bit red.
"I'm sorry! What--"
I was cut off, we had to get into Young Womens.
We sat in the back together.
"What happ--"
I was interrupted again, not because someone had reproachfully shouted, "Lizzy, pay attention!" but because fresh tears were budding and spilling over Ashley's eyes.
I stared in shock.
"I-i-it was th-the worst class...ever!" she hiccuped.
I looked around nervously. No one saw what was going on.
I grabbed her hand.
"Let's go to the bathroom."
She nodded, her face now a bright, blotchy red, her lips pressed tightly together to stop herself from wailing.
I stood up and pulled her from the room to save her from people staring.
We ran down the empty hallways and flung ourselves into the bathroom, bolting into the largest stall for the people in wheelchairs, and locked the door behind us. It was also the stall where people changed for the baptisimal (baptismal?) font, so there was a wooden bench against the wall next to the door.
We sat there while Ashley cried silently.
"Did people tease you? Provoke you?" I asked.
"No! The teachers picked on me!!" she cried.
"I...don't understand."
"Th-they would always call on me for every s-single question, even if I d-didn't know it, and they weren't very n-nice to me!" she sobbed.
Just then the door opened into the bathroom. She stopped crying abruptly.
I peeked through the crack of the door, and stopped breathing.
It was Sis. Taylor, our Mia Maids advisor. She was looking for us.
I turned around in panic, and motioned to be quiet with my finger.
She was peeking in all of the open stalls to see if we were hiding. She started moving towards ours.
"Oh, hello Laura!" a cheerful voice called behind her.
She turned around, distracted.
I breathed a sigh of relief and Sis. Taylor started talking to a woman. After they finished talking, she left.
"That was close!" I whispered frantically.
Ashley nodded.
We stayed in the bathroom a bit more, until Ashley composed herself. We opened the stall door (after making sure no one was inside the bathroom. It would be weird if someone saw two girls walk out of the same stall) and Ashley wiped her eyes.
We then left the bathroom, and silently walked down the hallway to the Young Womens rooms.


I also had a presidency meeting (since I'm secretary for Mia Maids) and I had to stay after because I needed something copied off for me.
Sis. Wetsel (the other leader) managed to corner me.
"I noticed you and Ashley were late for Young Womens. I saw you in the hallway, waiting outside," she nosed.
"Um...well..." I stammered. I didn't want her to know.
"Ashley looked a little...distressed...when you came in. Was everything alright?"
I was trapped.
"Uh, well, she just had a little problem and she was embarrassed...er..."--I had to word this right!--"she asked me to come along with her to solve it."
Oh yeah, I was golden!
"So she's okay now?" she nosed some more.
I nodded fervently.
She seemed satisfied.


I don't care if I tell you this, dear friends, but i just don't want Sis. Wetsel and Taylor to know, because they are WAY to nosey and protective.
I was gone for three Sunday's in a row because
1st week: I was sick
2nd week: I had to go to a baby shower
and
3rd week: I was sick again.

They sent a girl in my Concert Singers class--who was also in my ward--to see if I was going inactive!!
Sheesh!
No, for your information, I'm not!
I don't thank you for asking!
Well, I hope you understand how I feel about them.

I gotta go!
Scripture studies!
Ciao for now,
Lizzy

No comments: