Pages

Jun 22, 2008

Night Terrors

I got so scared last night. I still am shaking from the experience. No, I did not get a night terror, but my little sister did. Well, we think that she did. She had them twice last night. One around 11:00 and another around 1:00. On the one at 11:00, she 'woke' up screaming. (It is nearly impossible to fully rouse somebody if they are having a night terror.) My instincts told me that she had thrown up, which I had experienced with her screaming before, but that is a different story. (She also sleeps in the same room as me.) (She's 5.) So I said, "Emma, did you throw up? Are you okay? What happened?!" Emma didn't answer; she just kept screaming and yelling. Then my dad came running in my room. He asked, "Why is she crying? Did she throw up?" I said, "I don't know!" Dad sat down on her bed, and he asked her if she threw up. She just kept yelling. Then dad cradled her in his arms, and asked her what her dream was about. Dad and I only caught 'Chuck E. Cheeses'. (We had gone there that day for my brothers baseball party.) Dad finally was able to calm her down, and we were able to go back to sleep. Then at 1:00, she was worse. Instead of just screaming, it was blood curdling. She screamed and yelled and shrieked like the world was going to end. It really scared me. Dad ran in even faster and pulled her up from the bed and set her backwards on his lap. She buried her face in his chest and held on to him and wouldn't let go. She screamed in his chest and cried and cried. She got louder and louder, and finally my Mom ran in too. Emma would not stop. She was scaring me so much, (I was sitting up by then.) that I started to cry too. (Yes, I am very sensitive.) Dad tried calming her down, but couldn't. Then he left and left the job to Mom. She cried and shrieked. Mom layed Emma down on her bed, and she lied down next to her, rubbing her back and telling her everything was going to be alright. Emma calmed down, and started again. Finally, Mom said that she could sleep in her room, and picked her up and took her in. In the morning I asked Emma if she remembered what scared her so much. She said, "What dream?" I said, "Don't you remember waking up screaming?" She replied, "No..." That was the first supposedly night terror I experienced. (She didn't have any more that night.) You would be scared if you were in my situation, I can promise you that. My friend, Rachael has night terrors, but only if she's used to sleeping in a room. If she's in a new room, she doesn't have any. How weird is that?
A scared blogger,
Lizzy

No comments: